Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Sacred Hamburger

Okay. I've been kind of excited since I got here about getting a special kind of burger from what you could equate to the Japanese McDonalds, MosBurger. The "buns" are made of rice, and the middle, is anything and everything tasty.

Yesterday, I took a two (or maybe three) hour bike ride to find this promised land. And here it is, the gyuuniku (beef) gohan burger. I really wanted the fried tako (octopus) rice burger, but they were not stocking them.
Either way, it was a delicious meal, and very different.

Later, I intended to join our group for a trip to a Hanshin Tigers baseball game. I somehow lost track of an hour of time and arrived back to the meeting point late.

So... using what little Japanese skills I have, I bought a phone card to contact the group leader who has my ticket to let him know I'm coming, whilst a Taxi, which would take me to the train station came to pick me up from the phonecard store.
Then I waited for a train to Osaka, where I met a young fellow who spoke to me in some English and gave me a CD of Hawaiian music which I've been told by some I've shown this disc to, is really cool. I managed to switch trains with help from the kindness of strangers. Then came to the stadium just as the game was starting.

By the way, those strangers, these are they. When I saw them at the station, I knew they had to speak some English. They did and they were going to the game too. Very nice folks, everyone here generally is so very polite and helpful.

At the game I did get some octopus; a sort of tako crepe. It was kind of like breakfast food, filled with potatoes and a cracked egg.
Like calamari, I really enjoy tako--it was good!

I also wanted to show you some photos of that cemetary with the view of Kyoto. There were so many headstones--thousands--it was quite a moving moment standing nearly at the top of this vertical graveyard and seeing it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment